I’m confident I’m not alone in thinking where the heck did January go?? I’ll be doing a January recap at the end of the month, but – it was an amazing month. It also had the added benefit of involving very little ‘thinking about the future’, which means my real new year can begin in February.
February is just awfully convenient for setting mini goals. This particular February is greater than most, since it begins on a Monday and ends on a Sunday (excluding 29 February – am I the only one who thinks 29 February isn’t a real day?). After tossing up some different titles for this month’s goal, I settled on Zero Funds February (although ‘No Fun February’ was the lead contender, I thought it was a little on the Negative Nancy side). Zero Funds February involves the following:
Yep – you guys, I’m doing a one-month shopping ban. Except for pre-approved items, I will be spending zero dollars. This is functioning as a warm up for a future longer-term shopping ban. For now, it gives me a hyper-focussed period of time to examine my habits and triggers, and make some informed decisions about how I want to work my money going forward.
My mantra to get me through is extremely unoriginal:
And behold – the pre-approved February shopping list:
- Groceries / petrol / bills (obviously) (note that ‘bills’ includes gym membership, 4 week challenge cost and Netflix).
- Protein powder.
- Printing photos (9c / 4×6 picture at Harvey Norman – this is part of my year long goal to Project Life my photos and importantly use up all the craft crap I hang on to).
- Skin cancer check (these appointments are IMPOSSIBLE to get, and the only Saturday I could get is the last Saturday of the month).
- Two trips to the 50m pool for swim practice ($6/each).
- 2 x gifts: Valentines Day, nan’s birthday.
More importantly – things that I will not be spending on this month:
- Take-away coffee.
- Sweet tooth snacks.
- Yarn (I like to crochet in my spare time #legend).
- All other craft-related items.
- Stationery (including to do lists, notebooks, journals, colourful pens, stickers…).
- Clothes (including all activewear).
- Make up / Skin care / Hair care.
Do you have a monthly goal for February? Any advice on the above? Let me know in the comments!